So you have a dog. And now you’re wondering how to keep Fido cool in the summer-time season. If you are something like us, you need your puppy to be as happy and comfortable as possible. And who wouldn’t want their dog to be happy?
There are lots of factors that may have an affect on your canine’s comfort level in the summer. The temperature, humidity, and wind all have a huge effect on how warm (or cold) your canine feels when it comes time to go outside. Read on as a vet offers tips on how to help Fido stay cool in the summer heat.
Heatstroke in Dogs
Heatstroke is a dangerous condition that can develop when dogs are exposed to excessive temperatures for prolonged durations of time. While dogs face a higher risk of overheating compared to humans, they’re additionally an awful lot tougher to chill down.
Symptoms of heatstroke in dogs include:
- Excessive panting
- High frame temperature (above 102 stages Fahrenheit)
- Sudden collapse/coma
- Disorientation, confusion, and absence of coordination
If your dog starts to show signs of heatstroke, call the vet immediately.
Tips on How to Keep Your Dog Cool in the Heat
Here are a few things that we recommend:
- Make sure they always have plenty of water
- Always address accidents or clinical situations first – your dog will thank you later!
- If you have an air conditioner or fan in your home, be sure to keep your dog nearby while they sleep to relieve the heat.
- If you spend time outdoors with your dog, make sure he has access to shade whenever possible. This helps avoid sunburn and keeps their skin healthy and hydrated.
- If you’re going out at night and it’s still very hot outside, don’t forget to put a cooling jacket or vest on your dog so they don’t overheat while running around playing with friends or chasing down squirrels!
- If it’s hot (or maybe not), be sure to dress your dog in a cooling jacket so he doesn’t overheat too quickly.
If you have any other questions or would like to schedule Fido for a checkup, please contact us, your local veterinarian, today!
!Social Media Icons